Affidavit of J. Douglas Crowder, M.D.
In the Criminal District Court No.3
Dallas County, Texas
DARLIE LYNN ROUTIER
No. F96-39973-MJ IN THE CRIMINAL
NO. 3 OF
DALLAS COUNTY, TEXAS
AFFIDAVIT OF J. DOUGLAS CROWDER, M.D.
Before me, the undersigned notary, on this day, personally appeared Dr. J. Douglas Crowder, a person whose identity is known to me. After I administered an oath to him, upon his oath, he said:
1. My name is J. Douglas Crowder. I am over twenty-one years old and I reside in Dallas, Texas. I have never been convicted of a crime, and I am capable and fully competent to make this Affidavit. I have personal knowledge of the facts stated in this Affidavit, and those facts are true and correct.
2. I am an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School. I am board certified in general psychiatry with added qualifications in forensic psychiatry. My business address is 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas, 75390-9070. My telephone number is (214) 648-7398.
3. Over a period of years, I have met with a colleague of mine, Dr. Kenneth Dekleva, to discuss a number of issues of interest in the field of forensic psychiatry.
4. During a lunchtime conversation that took place, to my best recollection, in the Summer of 2000, Dr. Dekleva told me that he served as a psychiatric consultant for the State of Texas in the capital case of Texas v. Routier. I understood that Dr. Dekleva's duties as a consultant were to advise the Prosecution on any psychiatric issues presented by the case, and possibly to serve as an expert witness. Dr. Dekleva informed me that he opined to the Prosecutors in that case that, in his professional opinion, Darlie Lynn Routier is not likely to constitute a future danger in prison.
5. Dr. Dekleva acknowledged that Prosecutors had not asked him to testify about this opinion at any point during the trial of Ms. Routier.
Dr. J. Douglas Crowder
STATE OF TEXAS
COUNTY OF DALLAS
SWORN TO and SUBSCRIBED before me by Dr. J. Douglas Crowder on July 11, 2002
Notary Public, State of Texas